On Saturday 31 December 2005 14:26, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:58:17 +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> > > tar outputs to stdout by default,
> >
> > Not always.
>
> From man tar
>
> -f, --file [HOSTNAME:]F
>  use archive file or device F (default "-", meaning stdin/stdout)
>
> So "-f -" is unnecessary, but harmless.

That is true for GNU tar, but not for other versions, so specifying "-f -" is
the safest solution. For example the man page tar on Solaris 2.8 says:

     f     File. Use the tarfile argument  as  the  name  of  the
           tarfile.  If  f  is specified, /etc/default/tar is not
           searched. If f is omitted, tar  will  use  the  device
           indicated  by  the  TAPE environment variable, if set;
           otherwise, it will use the default values  defined  in
           /etc/default/tar.  If  the name of the tarfile is '-',
           tar writes to the standard output or  reads  from  the
           standard  input,  whichever is appropriate. tar can be
           used as the head or tail of a pipeline. tar  can  also
           be used to move hierarchies with the command:

           example% cd fromdir; tar cf - .| (cd todir; tar xfBp -)

The file /etc/default/tar contains a list of tape devices. So on Solaris 2.8
if -f is not specified and $TAPE is not set, which it isn't by default, then
tar will use a tape device *not* stdin/stdout

Steve
Steve Evans            E-mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                       WEB:    http://www.gorbag.com
Registered Linux user #217906: http://counter.li.org
Public Encryption Key:         http://www.gorbag.com/public-key.html

Now playing: Nina Simone - It might as well be spring

2.6.14-gentoo-r5 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz GNU/Linux

 14:50:29 up 2 days, 21:41,  6 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.14, 0.14

I didn't know he was dead; I thought he was British.