Hi Anthony,
on Wednesday, 2005-12-28 at 10:38:12, you wrote:
> 1) I currently have a few pop email accounts with my ISP and others
> (eg gmail), and wish to retain these accounts, as I use them for
> different purposes and people already have these addresses.

As Alexander has pointed out, fetchmail is fine for that. That is, it
has a bad reputation  with respect to code quality but I haven't checked
as it hasn't ever given me any trouble. Maybe there are alternatives,
but loads of people use it.

> [...]
> 3) I want to be able to access the same mail and mail folders from all
> machines, and the state of those mailboxes be mirrored on all the
> other machines.

Yup, an IMAP server seems to be the tool of choice here. At work I use
dovecot which works well together with postfix. It's a bit of work to
set up but it has sufficient documentation for that. I don't know of
anything easier, in fact I haven't tried much else except for some Cyrus
thing that came wit SuSE and that I didn't like.

> 4) I want to filter junk mail using SpamAssassin.

No idea really...I'd suggest to just install it and have a look into the
README(s). Many people use it with all kinds of MTAs---I haven't.

cheers!
        Matthias

--
I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0  8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665