Hi,
        I hope this isn't off-topic.

I have a few files which I would like to share to some housemates, but I
don't want these files to be opened by everyone at the same time. (limit
stress on my PC etc)

So, what I would like to do is some sort of library checkout mechanism.
I'm hoping to be able to write a script that will check how many
instances of the file is already in use.

My initial thinking is to use lsof.

eg: lsof | grep -i exact_filename  | wc -l

and count the number of times it occurs, compare it to a database(?)
(this is most likely to be just a txt file) and see if I will permit the
connection.

Is lsof a suitable/accurate tool? I mean, based on linux's
architechture, one can still access/stop playing the file( but didn't
close the orig app that played/used it)

Comments please?

(Preferably a command line app / solution)

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!