For what you're doing you don't need the MTA or MDAs.  I just installed KDE
3.4 on one of my Gentoo systems and all I did was goto the accounts setup and
point it at bellsouth mailserver, enter the username,etc. and it worked.  KDE
allows you to set up several accounts as you know and handles them very well.

Maybe to got Settings->configure kmail and set up a new test account that only
goes to Bellsouth.

On Tuesday 03 January 2006 09:57, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 January 2006 02:10, a tiny voice compelled Rumen Yotov to
write:
> > On (02/01/06 17:31), [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > Ernie, are you doing anything special here?  I'm running KDE and simply
> > > went into the accounts and set up my pop server (mail.bellsouth.net)
> > > and it works.  Same for T-bird.  BTW, look at Korn for a newsreader .
>
> I'm not trying to do anything special... just get kmail to send mail. I
> have a bellsouth account as well as a Netplex account. Both were set up for
> pop server and worked fine until I deleted old KDE versions and did some
> house cleaning. It would seem that I removed what ever is supposed to
> handle authentication to my ISP's SMTP server, or possibly I borked some
> config file somewhere. IIRC, when I installed Gentoo 3 years ago, I set it
> up to use the reccomended MTA, and everything just worked. I can't tell
> what, if anything I may have done to blow the mail sending, but, in all
> honesty, I've tried a lot of ways to fix this and am unsure of all the
> changes I've made. What MTA are you using? I've seen in my searches
> something written about MDA's but can't find out what, if any MDA I should
> be running or what an MDA does.

snip

--

Brett I. Holcomb