Oh, and one other thing.  This should also be done for packages that
get moved to different categories, because I've been getting errors
like the following lately...

Calculating world dependencies |
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=dev-perl/PodParser-1.22".
(dependency required by "mail-filter/spamassassin-3.1.0" [binary])

In this case, this simply means that dev-perl/PodParser has moved to a
different category, and the old spamassassin binary package couldn't
find it anymore, because it only knows about the PodParser in the old
category, not the new category.  I checked the xorg-x11 ebuild, and it
was fine.  It was the binary that still had problems, so I had to
re-merge it without --usepkg.  If I recall correctly, I also would
have had to remove the file "/var/cache/edb/remote_metadata.pickle",
but I started using NFS for my portage instead.  That file has
information about packages, and their dependencies, so I looked in it,
and it had the wrong information.  It had the "dev-perl/PodParser"
info, instead of the "perl-core/PodParser" info.