On 6 Jan 2006, at 17:33, Peter wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:34:07 +0100, Sergio Polini wrote:

(i.e., my gateway address, which is different ;-) to /etc/ resolv.conf? My
resolv.conf after a dhcp connession is:

domain fastwebnet.it
nameserver 213.156.54.80
nameserver 213.156.54.81

(Fastweb is my provider).

What should my resolv.conf look like? Thanks.
Sergio

So, you do NOT have a router? Then keep dhcp. If your ISP has assigned you a static IP, then you should ask them for specifics. Most do not assign
static IP though.

If it's the ISP issuing a static IP then he won't need to (use the -s flag) to ask for it. They'll issue it to him if he uses a standard DHCP request to ask for just any old IP. DHCP servers can be configured to always issue the same IP to a given MAC address and ADSL ISPs in the UK issue static IPs via DHCP according to PPP authentication info. There's surely no need for him to specify it.

Stroller.