On Saturday 07 January 2006 20:47, Holly Bostick wrote:

> So from this I deduce that
>
> 1) xorg 6.8.99 was *really* broken/incomplete or did something radically
> different that etc-update and cfg-update cannot deal with, since these
> files were never updated or offered to update while I when I actually
> installed the package or at any time while I was running the package
> (it's not like I haven't emerged anything for the past two months); and

etc-update and cfg-update cannot handle it because they are not supposed to do
it. The directory has been config protected so even though they are finding
the new config files they can't over write anything until the protection is
removed.

> 2) these files are now irrelevant (since I have gone back to 6.8.2-r6)
> and can be deleted without penalty; and

They are relevant but 6.8.2-r6 wants to install its own version of the files.

> 3) these files are what is confusing the update utilities, and they will
> "snap back" when these old-cfg and new-cfg files are deleted.

True.

> Does that sound about right? Xorg 6.8.2-r6 seems to be working OK

I have a feeling that you followed the "Migrating to Modular X.org" guide and
uninstalled old version of xorg before installing the new version, thus
deleting xkb files. The upgrade to 6.8.99, as expected, installed the new
version of these files. Now, that you've downgraded, the old versioned files
are trying to install again but since the directory is protected and already
contains 6.8.99 xkb files, etc-update cannot update the directory.

You are not facing any problem because you are most probably not using xkb or
in other words the keyboard layouts. If you've never used different keyboard
layouts then you can comfortably delete the new-cfg files and expect to face
nil problems.

I hope I made myself comprehendible. Please mind that English is not my first
language :)

Regards,
Abhay