Am Sonntag, 8. Januar 2006 14:59 schrieb Holly Bostick:
> Marc Schlienger schreef:

> >> Is aRTs set to use ALSA?
> >
> > Yes. It should also work with automatic detection. But it doesn't
> > work in either cases.
> >
> >> Secondly, you do have system sounds turned on, yes?
> >
> > This is also set. And when I push the Test-Sound-Button here I get no
> >  sound.
> >
> >> Sound and Multimedia=> System Notifications.
> >
> > This is also all set to correct values.
> >
> > If it was that simple there will be no problem.
>
> Well, how were we to know that? We don't know you, we don't know if you
> know how to set up KDE properly, and you didn't tell us that you had
> already done so. A user new to KDE would not necessarily find that all
> so 'simple' as you do.
>
> So. Your settings are correct, and even though you don't have
>
> [StartProgress]
> Arts Init=true
> KNotify Init=true
> Use Arts=true
>

> ... it's "not the root of the problem".
>
> Why not? Because fixing it didn't make a difference? And if that isn't
> the root of the problem, it sounds like you have an idea what perhaps is?

On the one hand of all fixing it makes no difference and on the other hand
arts is also not working during logging in, for example.

> Shall we guess randomly? OK... have you checked KMix to make certain
> that it's unmuted and not taking over the mixer settings from ALSA?

Kmix has correct settings too.

> Do you have any other unusual conditions/setup relating to sound on your
> system? Multiple sound cards, recording setup?

I've go one sound card on my motherboard. The output of lspci is

00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio
Controller (rev a2)

The driver for that card is i8x0.

> Do you use any unusual compiler flags that might have caused arts to
> *seem* to compile all right, but in fact break?

My use flags are:

USE="amd64 X acpi alsa apache2 arts audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2
cdr crypt cups curl dbus dvd dvdr encode exif expat fam ffmpeg foomaticdb
fortran gd gif glut gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 hal idn imagemagick imlib ipv6
java jpeg kde lcms libwww lzw lzw-tiff mad mhash mng motif mp3 mpeg mysql
ncurses nls opengl pam pcre pdflib perl php plotutils png ppds python qt
quicktime readline scanner sdl spell ssl tcltk tcpd tetex tiff truetype
truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb userlocales xine xml2 xpm xv zlib
linguas_de userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"

> How have you installed KDE? Split ebuilds? Monolithic build? If split
> ebuilds, what parts of KDE did you compile, and did you compile them all
> with arts support?

I've installed kde using split ebuilds. These are all packages:

de-base/kdebase-meta kde-base/kicker-applets kde-base/kontact
kde-base/kaddressbook kde-base/kdeartwork-kscreensaver
kde-base/kdeartwork-kwin-styles kde-base/kdeartwork-iconthemes
kde-base/kdeartwork-wallpapers kde-base/kdeartwork-sounds
kde-base/kdeartwork-styles kde-base/kdvi kde-base/kghostview kde-base/kpdf
kde-base/kde-i18n kde-base/kcachegrind kde-base/kcalc kde-base/kdict
kde-base/kgpg kde-base/kmail kde-base/korganizer kde-base/kregexpeditor
amarok k3b kmix

The "arts" use flag is set in /etc/make.conf. I've installed all packages with
arts support.