quoth the Michael Kjorling:
> On 2006-01-08 13:03 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I recently upgraded the kernel on my laptop to 2.6.14-r5, as well as
> > Xorg, and many other packages. Since this change I cannot run an
> > xterm anymore. I seem to recall this happening to me years ago, but
> > I do not remember the cause.
>
> Did you make any changes related to pty support?

No. I have:
[*] Legacy (BSD) PTY support.

and 256 pty* devices in /dev

However, I noticed permissions were -rwxrwx--- on the files, owner root, group
tty, so I simply added my user to tty group and it works now...

I'm looking at my desktop, and I am a member of tty group there. It makes me
think that maybe I accidently overwrote /etc/group during an etc-update, but
this can't be because all the other groups memberships are still present (ie:
video,audio etc). Very odd that this would work before...

>hmm... try switching to another virtual console (e.g. <ctrl>+<alt>+<F1>),
>logging in as your user and running

>DISPLAY=:0 konsole

Thank you. This is the invocation I was looking for. Hard to start an app from
the CLI when you can't get a CLI ;)

Thanks for the help both Michael and John,
-d