On 1/9/06, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > If I used on any of my HDs, will I be able to update them?
>
> What do you mean?  If you mean changing the password, yes.

I mean updating my system (emerge -u world) once I put it on a
cyphered partition.

> > What if the
> > data of some file gets corrupted, will I loose the whole HD?
>
> Encryption is done in (4k?) blocks, so you should only lose the
> corrupted block.  As to whether you lose a single file or the whole
> filesystem, that depends on the nature of the corruption and the
> filesystem.  This is no different than having a corrupted hard drive.
>
> -Richard

Interesting. I was worried if the algorithm would make all the blocks
dependents on each other. So, if I loose onde block, I'd be loosing
all the others.

What about the performance, is it too different from plain partition usage?