Justin Hart <justinhart <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I recently upgraded my kernel to 2.6.15, enabling MPPE so I could
> connect to my campus network's VPN.

> I'm using pptpconfig to set up the connection.  It's plain-vanilla,
> name of the server and such with the require_mppe box checked.

> I'm connecting via 802.11g, using ndiswrapper to by Broadcom 3150
> wireless adapter.

> If I have this configuration, as it is now, on my campus network, the
> connection drops after a few minutes.  It also drops my wi-fi
> connection.  I kill dhcpcd and restart it to re-acquire an IP, and
> life is good again.  The wi-fi connection is stable unless I do this.

from:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Set_up_a_vpn_client_with_mppe_encryption

It contains this line:
You will have to install or recompile ppp with the mppe-mppc USE flag.

The aforementioned wiki also has other suggestions that might be relevant
to your setup,, particularly in the attached scripts. If not, consider
posting a new wiki, as I have been
'tagged' to setup a gentoo laptop for a friend with secure wireless access
on a university campus......

Are you happy with the performance of your BC 3150 card?
Any other  pc-card hardware recommnedations as it'd be nice to get one card
that works well with Gentoo and winDoz on a dual-boot laptop?

Lots of interlopers and curious talent on those university grounds....

hth,
James