I replaced SUSE with Gentoo on my server a few months back. I
installed Gentoo from Suse, so that the server stayed up and running
whilst I installed and configured everything. I did the install on a
separate partition, and once everything was configured and any data
copied over, I booted up into Gentoo properly.

This way, I could mount the old Suse partition to have access to my
old configuration files, and fix any problems I was having.

So basically, if you have space and a spare partition/drive, I would
install side by side until everything is working OK before binning
Suse.

--
Ant...