Unmerge the BOINC from portage and download/manually install it from the
site. The version in portage is very old and for some reason, it hasn't
been updated. I had the same problem with the same project until I
upgraded to 5.2.13. I contacted the project and they confirmed that the
old versions don't work at all. I guess they have some kind of
restriction with old versions. As soon as I did the upgrade, everything
worked perfectly. I haven't had a problem for over a month.

--
Statux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>