Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:28:10 +0100, Holly Bostick wrote:

The appearance of USE flags (which is what we're talking about) is
unrelated to whether or not you have the package installed already-- a
USE flag does not appear or disappear based on whether you have the
relevant package installed.

The presence of a USE flag may not change, but its default setting can.
If you have with no setting for mozilla in USE, emerge mozilla and then
do emerge --info, you'll see mozilla added to USE. Some other packages
have similar effects, I think postgresql also does it.
see http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/35143 for more information.