On 1/15/06, Brett I. Holcomb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can you explain host vs bridge vs other network options?  I want to have
> vmplayer use the same IP address as the system it's running on.

The closest to what you said would be NAT networking.  In this case,
the guest receives an address on a private network, but can
communicate with the outside world using the host's address.  However,
nothing on the outside can get services from your guest.

If you want your guest to provide services to the rest of your
network, you need bridged networking.  In this case, both the host and
the guest show up on the network at different MAC addresses, and thus
can get different IP addresses.  It is just like if they were separate
computers.

Host networking is only if you do not want the guest to communicate
with the outside at all.  The only machine it can communicate with is
the host (or other guests) on a private network.

You can actually create multiple network cards for the guest using any
combination of the above.  I have used host-only networking to provide
samba shares to the guest, without exporting them to the rest of the
world, plus a bridged network connection for the guest to participate
in the LAN.

-Richard