On Monday 16 January 2006 19:17, Michael Crute wrote:

> Thanks Abhay I will give that a try when I get home today. I assume
> aoss is part of alsa-utils? (I don't have portage handy to check this
> out at the moment)

It comes from alsa-oss. This package gets compiled automatically, as a
dependency, if you enable +oss use flag with alsa-driver

> On the topic of sound servers. Being fairly ignorant about sound on
> linux (but willing to learn). Is there a good reason to use a sound
> server or am I better off to use ALSA directly? What purpose do sound
> servers serve?

If you check out mailing list archives of sometime back, you'll find me asking
exactly the same question. At that time I was using aRts with KDE, and was
experiencing nothing but problems. I did not get any concrete replies to this
particular question i.e. "Why use a sound server anyways?". Just to see how
things turn out, I disabled aRts and don't face any problems till now. I am
using ALSA directly.

You can also try disabling esd and see how things go for you. If you face any
problems then you can enable it again, but I personally don't see any reason
to use a sound server.

--
Regards,
Abhay