I'm wondering if we should be reporting this to the kernel guys.  I
see this on *all* linux systems with kernel 2.6, but I'm not sure
about 2.4.  But, I think I'll try enabling some options that Richard
mentioned first.

Kernel guys know it very well. They recently implemented the sync option for FAT filesystems, and this is turned on by default.

Unluckly, sync is really OK for FAT partitions on an HD, but not for USB devices. I hope they will realize soon that not only it degrades performance of USB drives, but it also wears out flash memories really fast.

m.