You could start at 100MHz and work your way up until your machine
becomes unstable.  Generally speaking I stay with the speed that the
memory is rated at - some of my hardware is a bit dated and would not
like to fry them for a relatively small overall speed benefit.

> I ran memtest86, it found errors in test #5 (Block move, 64 moves, 52
> of them), but I've read that tests 5 and 8 are sometimes squirrelly on
> Athlon systems.  Is there a way to tell in which stick the error is
> happening?  Or should I just test them each individually?

I would test them both individually.  There's an application which will
mark bad blocks so that they are no longer used by the CPU but I can't
remember its name . . . Of course if one of the sticks fails on
MEMTEST86+ then I would just bin it or return it for healthier sample.
It's not really worth the hassle trying to fix it.

On top of everything else mentioned with regards to memory speed and
settings for memory parity error checking, I found two things of
importance when I was trying to fix a box crashing at random on me:
1. The positioning of the sticks is important - follow your Mobo OEM's
recommendations.  With two sticks you may need to use memory slots 1 &
3, as opposed to 1 & 2 or 1 & 4.
2. Certain memory sticks will only work happily with other sticks of the
same make/model/speed and size.  Mixing and matching has often caused
previously stable boxes falling apart on me.
--
Regards,
Mick