On 1/19/06, Jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> .libs/dynamicrequest.o: In function
> `Arts::DynamicRequest::~DynamicRequest()':
> dynamicrequest.cc:(.text+0x1a5): undefined reference to
> `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char>
>  >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'

Definitely looks like a gcc 3.3->3.4 upgrade problem...

> Keep in mind, this is happening after I've *carefully* followed the
> upgrade to gcc-3.4 instructions, and I've done the same exact build on 4
> other boxes with no problems.

Some people here have reported trouble, even though they followed the
instructions.  Not sure why.

I suggest:

# gcc-config -l
# gcc-config <X> (where X is the version of gcc that you want to use,
if not already set)
# revdep-rebuild --library=libstdc++.so.5
# emerge --ask --pretend --prune sys-devel/gcc
(the above should want to remove gcc versions prior to <X> above)
# emerge -e world (this is really optional...do it when you have time)

The revdep-rebuild method seems to have been more reliable for most
people.  Indeed, on my AMD64 box, I tried the emerge -e system route,
and that ended up switching me back to gcc 3.3 for some reason.

-Richard