On 1/21/06, Mike Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> even go back to Afterstep or Enlightenment, but for now kde-3.5 works
> for me.

May I ask others' experiences with e17?  I just wasted my holiday
installing e17 on two of three machines.  It is smaller than Kde, but
background is 20% of cpu .  Buggy.  Beautiful.  A PITA to configure,
and menus suck. I don't think I'll be there long.   I liked
enlightenment .16 except I guess I really do need icons to remind me
of what I've got on the system, and good menus.

I still haven't decided to dump e17 for real, but in looking back, I
did note how heavy KDE 3.5 is.  Gnome: my employers already treat me
like a child; I need options and flexibility.

KDE is ugly IMHO: I blew that windows-like pop stand years ago.
However, for some reason KDE developers in some, but NOT ALL cases,
seem to wind up with a more polished package.  Compare Kalzium and
gperiodic.

On really good days, I fire up fluxbox or a console.

The bottom line on GUIs is ease of use.  The tradeoff is flexibility
and options.  Nautilus works nicely, and for the first time I am using
a GUI file manager for large scale reorganization of my filesystems.
But one glaring deficiency keeps hitting me in the face---you can't do
links with them.  Noone has figured out how to make links user
friendly?  It's too complicated for the end user?  So using a graphic
user interface on a Unix-like system has led GNU/Linux back toward the
idiot proof pseudo operating system: like MS-DOG being an idiotproofed
unix-like system.

Comments after having recently installed a bunch of GUI setups.

Alan