On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:26:23 +0000
Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Try searching Freshmeat for "stress test", there are several programs to
> put network, CPU, I/O etc. through their paces. There's also StressLinux,
> a live CD containing a number of these programs.

emerge -uDNav stress

Generally, it's best to add -

emerge -uDNav rss-glx

The start up one or more of the screensavers via the commandline -
/usr/lib/misc/xscreensaver/skyrocket

which will test both openGL and sound.  Add stress on the command line and
that takes care of most things except 2D dma.  But because desktops, like KDE,
Gnome, e17, all use a layer over the X root window, one can't see the test
happen.

Assuming e16, flux, openbox, etc.  a script would be created that does the
following -

Sets up odd and even forefground and background with solid colors like blue,
green,
red, yellow.  Sets the bitmap path to /usr/include/X11/bitmaps and then create
a loop
that takes the bitmaps, one by one, found in the previous path and rotates each
one
though xsetroot - xsetroot -bitmap $bgpath/$bg -fg $oddfg -bg $oddbg
Then sleep for a few sec, and get the next combo.  Then do all the even
background
combos.

Bob
-