John Jolet wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2006, at 2:41 PM, Tom Smith wrote:
>
>> John Jolet wrote:

>>> the next thing I would try is export the TERM value at the gentoo
>>> command-line and the TERM value at the other end both vt220.
>>>
>>> Okay, now for another question, that may or may not be relevant.  why
>>> is kermit involved?  if you are sshing into another box, why use
>>> kermit?
>>

>> Sorry, I probably should've clarified this from the beginning...
>>
>> I'm using Kermit 95 on Windows XP Pro to connect to my Linux server.
>> (Kermit 95 is a commercial, Windows-only product; while ckermit is the
>> *nix version and freely available.) That said...
>>
>> I believe I've done the equivalent of what you're asking. I ran the
>> "export TERM=vt220" within the SSH session (on the server) and then
>> changed Kermit 95 to match that terminal type. (This should have the
>> same effect as what you suggested, right?)
>>
> if this were a unix-unix connection, yes.  have you tried PutTTY?
> free windows ssh client.  VERY nice.  (not trying to bash kermit 95,
> but haven't used it since...well 95)

(Sorry if this is a duplicate post... I posted my previous response with
the wrong email address and wasn't sure if it'd go through.)

Yes, I used PuTTY back in the day. I came to like Kermit (I use it both
in Windows and Linux) because of some of it's advanced features like
scripting. Kermit hasn't been updated much over the last... Hm, I don't
know the last time it was updates. :-| Anyway, I think they're both good
clients, Kermit just supports a LOT of features that I find useful that
PuTTY doesn't (yet?) support.

Did you (or anyone else :-) ) have any other suggestions to this dilemma?