I read something some time ago that suggested if you transfer a
compressed file over a compressed SFTP connection, for example, that it
would take longer to transfer the data versus if only the data or the
connection was compressed. The reason, as I recall, had to do with
compressing already compressed data--this apparently created some
overhead on the connection.

Did you look at this situation in your tests? If so, what were the results?

No, I see absolutely no reason to use sftp. Just scp. By default, compression is off on that, unless you've modified your ssh_conf.
But I have heard the same thing about doubly-compressing things.