I've been running gentoo on my server, my notebook and a few VMWares.

I always run the revdep-rebuild when I do some 'emerge world' operations.

I can't think of a single time I've seen this thing actually complete, when
there were packages to be rebuilt.

EVERY time it pukes on something not being in the portage tree it seems (or
masked).

It generates some line like this:

emerge --oneshot =app-admin/gnome-system-tools-1.4.1
=app-editors/gedit-2.12.1 =app-text/evince-0.5.0
=gnome-base/control-center-2.12.2-r1 =gnome-base/gdm-2.8.0.7 ......

What I don't understand is why doesn't it just do this:

emerge app-admin/gnome-system-tools app-editors/gedit app-text/evince
gnome-base/control-center gnome-base/gdm

In other words, why does it try to force the = and the version?

More often than not, if I take those off (like the second line), then shit
just works.

Why wouldn't I want the latest version of the packages, since I need to sit
through the compile anyways.

vmware ~ # revdep-rebuild --help
Usage: /usr/bin/revdep-rebuild [OPTIONS] [--] [EMERGE_OPTIONS]
Broken reverse dependency rebuilder.
  -X, --package-names  recompile based on package names, not exact versions
      --soname SONAME  recompile packages using library with SONAME instead
                       of broken library (SONAME providing library must be
                       present in the system)
      --soname-regexp SONAME
                       the same as --soname, but accepts grep-style regexp
  -q, --quiet          be less verbose
Calls emerge, all other options are used for it (e. g. -p, --pretend).

(there is STILL no man page for this tool)

I've tried the flag --package-names, but it doesn't seem to do anything
different.
Am I being retarded?

I've tried it this way:
        revdep-rebuild -Xav
        revdep-rebuild -av --package-names
        revdep-rebuild -av -X --package-names

They all ultimately result in the same "emerge" statement being generated
(WITH the versions) *sigh*