James wrote:
> showkey shows  press and release of ascii '83' so I guess it
> working fine. My second delete key works fine, but is in an
> awkward location on the keyboard.

On my keyboard the "normal" Delete key produces keycode 111, and the
Del key on the numeric pad produces keycode 53.  Are you using the
numeric Del as your normal delete key?  Then NumLock should be off,
otherwise it'll produce a decimal point.

> Any ideas how to fix this? new map?   When  I boot
> (2.6.14-gentoo-r6) the laptop, I get an error messge about :
> System.map not found  can not  check symbols

That is something different entirely.  When you install your kernel
(which normally means copying bzImage to the /boot dir) you have to
copy the System.map file (from the top dir of the kernel source)
along with it, although this file is really only needed when you get
oopses, so the kernel is able to tell in what function it occurs.

Benno