Uwe Thiem wrote:
> On 31 January 2006 15:19, Schleimer, Ben wrote:
>> I understand that writing zeros over the file should permenately delete the
>> data
>
> Don't believe people telling that.

Why not? I would believe those people.

> The data will still be recoverable

Will it? Why is it, that there are no proofs at all
that this is actually possible? Or do you have any
prove?

> The
> only way to wipe out data safely is to write different random bit over it
> several times.

"0" is good enough with modern hardware. That's so, because current
harddrives have a much higher "rate" of staying in the track and thus
do not write to the "left" or "right" of it.

>> but couldn't the data be cached elsewhere on the drive, especially
>> with journalling filesystems??
>
> Journalling filesystems are a problem when it comes to wipe out single files.

Yes.

> Wiping out the whole harddrive is still possible.

But not with normal hardware.

Alexander Skwar
--
Here we are in America ... when do we collect unemployment?