Jeff wrote:
> Just wondering - how would my system benefit from using ntpl/ntplonly? I
> don't see very much 'official' documentation of these USE flags, but
> Googling, I see a lot of people using it to 'optimize' their gcc/system.
>
> Anyone care to comment?

Myself I tried ntpl (and also ntplonly at someones suggestion). It is
supposed to offer better thread support, especially if you have an SMP
or dual core system. I have an SMP system.

Maybe it was just for me, but this turned into a total disaster. I later
found that it was due to setting ntplonly, which apparently disables
old, non-ntpl support entirely. Which is very very bad for apps that
don't yet support ntpl, or something like that.

My suggestion is to talk to gentoo devs, and decide for yourself if you
think it's worth it. And by all means stay away from ntplonly.

Today my system is ntpl (without ntplonly), on an SMP system, and I
don't notice any improvement at ALL. Which is VERY annoying considering
the complete insanity I went through for about a week.

Yes, I know only some apps support ntpl, but the impression given to me
was that it would speed up the whole system. Which is certainly not true.

Yes, others can flame me.

Good Luck.