On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Thomas Kirchner wrote:

* On Feb  6 12:34, Steven S. (gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org) wrote:
Not that I know of. I believe you have to be root to use emerge. You
should be able to cat the ebuild and download the tarball yourself, you
could then run the configure and install scripts, giving it the
location of where to install.

You can join the "portage" group to use most emerge functions as a
non-root user.  You should be able to set the $ROOT variable to "~" to
install things to your home directory, though I haven't tried it... ROOT
is normally "/"; it controls where files go after the sandbox.

Tom

I'm in the portage group, here's what happens:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ ROOT="/home/steve/test/" emerge irssi
/home/steve/test/tmp doesn't exist, creating it...
/home/steve/test/var/tmp doesn't exist, creating it...
/home/steve/test/var/lib/portage doesn't exist, creating it...
/home/steve/test//var/cache/edb doesn't exist, creating it...
/home/steve/test//var/cache/edb/dep doesn't exist, creating it...
emerge: root access required.

I can do emerge -p just fine though.