On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 16:17:41 -0600
Michael Sullivan wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 21:42 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 22:20:19 +0200, Ghaith Hachem wrote:
> >
> > > well there was a miracle today i got 3 free hours to manage to install
> > > the system up to the bootloader but what i really need is X since this
> > > is the family pc :-P
> >
> > Install X and a desktop from a GRP CD, it will only take a few minutes.
> >

> A couple of years ago I was reading in the Gentoo Handbook about GRP,
> and I saw something that I understood to mean that I could not use GRP
> packages and custom-built packages on the same system.  Is this true?

The restrictions are really based on (1) the portage snapshot used when the GRP
was made, and (2) your USE flags.

If either change, then the GRP packages are not going to be much use to
you. They are built as at a defined snapshot, so by the following week a
lot of the packages will not match portage's idea of the latest and
greatest.

If you want to do a GRP, do NOT sync portage or change your USE flags
until you have installed all you want. Then you can do a sync, set up
USE, and compile anything u want updated.