Hi All,

Reading another posters comments (you learn all sort of interesing stuff
here ;-) I checked my internet connection using the SpeedGuide.net TCP/IP
Analyzer and discovered that my TCP Receive Window is somewhat smaller than
anticipated, or than what a M$Windoze box which is running on the same LAN
(using the same router) shows:

Windoze box:
Default TCP Receive Window (RWIN) = 65535

Gentoo box:
Default TCP Receive Window (RWIN) = 5840

The whole section in the TCP/IP Analyser shows:
RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 2 bits (scale factor of 4)
Unscaled TCP Receive Window = 1460

For optimum performance, consider changing RWIN to a multiple of MSS.
Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
510784 (MSS x 46 * scale factor of 8)
255392 (MSS x 46 * scale factor of 4)
127696 (MSS x 46 * scale factor of 2)
 63848 (MSS x 46)

My MSS=1388.

I have set my router to use an MTU=1428 (following recommendations of my
ISP: http://support.metronet.co.uk/adsl/tips/optimising.html )

Is there anything I need to do with respect to setting a larger RWIN?  I
don't remember ever tweaking my Gentoo TCP/IP settings.  If it is advisable
to increase the RWIN buffer, how do I do this in Gentoo?
--
Regards,
Mick