kashani wrote:

> gentuxx wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with gentoo on a 4/8
>> CPU server. I say "4/8" because we're looking at Xeons that'll, at a
>> minimum, have HT but could possibly be dual-core. I run gentoo on a
>> P4 w/ HT and it runs great! But I have no idea how it will scale to
>> this many processors. I've done some preliminary googling, but
>> haven't come up with much....probably using the wrong search terms.
>>

> I've been running a Dell 6650, 4 x 1.9 GHZ Xeons for about a year
> under Gentoo. Linux sees it as 8 processors with the HT stuff turned
> on. I sort of inherited that machine and we've never come close to
> pushing it, but it's been great for Mysql which is highly threaded.
>
> My only advice is that quad physical CPU boxes and up are much more
> expensive than dual proc boxes though that seems to be changing.
> Make sure you really need that sort of concentrated CPU power rather
> than three or four smaller boxes. Also remember that most of your
> dual core CPUs can have significantly less cache than single core
> CPUs. The Intels top out at 8MB on single and 2MB on dual core from
> a quick look around.

> On the application side you're want something highly threaded or
> with a large number of processes. No point in having eight procs
> when six are likely to be sitting around doing nothing.

The main purpose of this box is going to be log crunching and
archival.  We have logs that range from tens of MBs to a GB a piece
(uncompressed).  The scripts running on it will be transferring (over
the network), decompressing, grepping, normalizing, recompressing, and
inserting into a local database from dozens of sources
simultaneously.  In a prior situation, I had a Sun e4500 with 8
UltraSPARC IIIs, 12GB of RAM, and about a TB of disk attached (SCSI
and FC).  There were times it wasn't enough.  I'm hoping to at least
match that functionality (preferably better it).

> I'll also second the AMD recommendation. A number of LAMP people
> have mentioned that they're getting much better performace out of
> their 64bit AMD's than the equivalent Intels. Specifically the
> Cnet/Gamestop guys have been retiring three dual Xeon DL380s for
> each dual dual core DL385 they install.

The more comparisons and reviews I read are leaning me in that
direction.  However, it doesn't look like HP offers a 4-way Opteron
box.  I'll have to ask the vendor.

> kashani

- --
gentux
echo "hfouvyAdpy/ofu" | perl -pe 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge'

gentux's gpg fingerprint ==> 34CE 2E97 40C7 EF6E EC40  9795 2D81 924A
6996 0993