> > Hello, my housing complex just switched to an Airport router and I
> > can't seem to connect.  They are supposedly using WEP.  There was a
> > 5-character psk at first and wpa_supplicant told me it was an invalid
> > key and it had to be at least 8 characters.  They switched it to a
> > 13-character psk and I still can't connect, although I don't get the
> > invalid key error now.  Does anyone know how to connect to a WEP
> > Airport router with Gentoo?  Everyone else is using Windows and Mac
> > and they are connecting just fine.  I've tried lots of different
> > configurations in wpa_supplicant.conf to no avail and all of my
> > software is up to date.
> >
> well, you DON'T use wpa_supplicant.  you put the key in /etc/conf.d/
> wireless, unless it's open, you can say "any" and get connected.

I still can't get this to work.  I have the essid and key defined in
'/etc/conf.d/net'.  I've tried defining the key like "s:key" and
"s:key enc open" and "open s:key".  I've tried other little things but
to no avail.  I can connect to a non-Airport WEP router via
wpa_supplicant just fine, and an unencrypted non-Airport router via
iwconfig just fine as well. What else could be the problem connecting
to this WEP Airport router via iwconfig?

I've also tried Eric's suggestion of running each command manually
with the same results.

- Grant