On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 13:55 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 15:08 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
> > OK, I finally got some more time to spend on this, and I'll give all
> > info again, just in case anyone can help.
> >
> > gnome-volume-manager kind-of works!  When I insert a usb storage drive,
> > I get this message in /var/log/messages:
> >
> > [Attached scsi disk blah...]
> > Feb  9 14:48:31 orpheus FAT: utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for
> > FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!
> > Feb  9 14:48:31 orpheus Unable to load NLS charset utf8
> > Feb  9 14:48:31 orpheus FAT: IO charset utf8 not found
>
> Not sure.. is UTF8 compiled in? I don't get this warning at all.
>
> $grep -i utf /usr/src/linux/.config
> CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT="utf8"
> CONFIG_NLS_UTF8=y

hey, can you tail /var/log/messages for me when you plug in a drive, and
tell me if you see:

Feb 10 14:26:38 orpheus FAT: utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for
FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!

I just recompiled my kernel like yours, above, and I still get this
message (but at least g-v-m auto mounts the drive :)

thanks,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain at netspace dot net dot au>

A little suffering is good for the soul.
                -- Kirk, "The Corbomite Maneuver", stardate 1514.0