On 2/12/06, Franta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 14:04 -0200, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
> > On 2/4/06, Franta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > As I said. It wont be SicroMoft. I'm still wondering. At this time of
> > > writing I reduced the possibilities to Slackware or LFS.
> > > I know, I'll need to do some work to get things running but if they are
> > > running I know they ARE running. Nobody will "upgrade" my system to make
> > > them stop working and thus make me to explore why and how to fix this.
> > >
> > > Don't advice me to use Windoooze. I'm a UNIX admin the last 20 years. It
> > > would be the horror to become accustomed to this poorly program. Well,
> > > program - I don't say this to be an OS.
> > >

> > I got a Pentium 100 running for about 6 months now, since that time I
> > did not touch it, its more stable than our proxy server *lol*
> >
> > If you want the bleeding edge, all updates, all the latest versions
> > and changes, you agree that at some point you'll have problems, that's
> > no reason for flamming the distro and if you feel like it, DON'T!!
> > Change the distro, simple as that... C'mon, I am a newbie compared to
> > you. I'm running Linux for about 5 years, Gentoo for about an year,
> > and still, got my udev working after some reading (the docs Philip
> > mentioned)... You should be ashamed of your first post...
> >

> > > BTW: I'm a UNIX admin the last 20 years. So don't

> > > --
> > >

> > --
> > Daniel da Veiga
> > Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
> >

> Got it. Realizing that I got a new baselayout, that things heavily
> changed in udev AND things heavily changed in the kernel as of versoon
> 2.6.13 I decided to upgrade the kernel.
>
> I've chosen 2.6.15 and averything works again (after a ``no | make
> oldconfig'').
>
> I'd assume that the newer baselayout(s) aren't compatible with kernels
> older than 2.6.13 anymore. I'll not explore that. Maybe someone knows
> that beter than me.
>
> Right, RTFM will lead to success in every case but it't annoying to do
> this again and again and again.
>
> Right too, I could leave the comp as it is but if I try to install a new
> tool (yes I'm still in this phase) I'll have to upgrade anyway. After a
> month without internet connection I got about 30 packages to upgrade.
> For now I'll upgrade rather often to hold this number low.

In fact, you don't need to upgrade to install new tools, only if they
explicity ASK for an upgrade as a dependency, take as example the gcc
version, I lived with it for a few months till I decided to upgrade,
and I installed most of the system with all current versions, none
asked for a gcc upgrade, or baselayout, or kernel, in fact, my core
system tools stayed as installed from the CD for a few months (except
for portage and a few dependencies). emerge --sync doesn't mean you
have to upgrade world... You can keep the sync and don't change your
system...