On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 09:47 +1000, Alan E. Davis wrote:
> On 2/13/06, Gerhard Hoogterp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Under linux that's not nessecary
> > as you can just use long filenames including spaces..
> >

> I do that, of course.   It solves 95% of my issues.  Somehow, I still
> miss that feature.  Additional comments would help me, for example,
> when I have a series of source code files with similar file names, and
> need to make comments to distinguish them.  Especially when other
> programs are looking for the file names in a series.

The simplest way I can see to do it, would be to:
- make a bash script called "ls"
- put it in your ~/bin directory (not in /bin)
- make an alias to _your_ ls, which first checks for a descript.ion file
or maybe even .comments file in the current directory, and then passes
the rest to ls.

A bit of fiddling, but that's what linux is about - if it doesn't work
the way you want it: make it work the way you want it!!

Let me know if you want to know more about this method.

--
Iain Buchanan <iain at netspace dot net dot au>

Obviously your filters are throwing away mail from Randal.  :-)
             -- Larry Wall in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>