Drew Tomlinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The time server is a FreeBSD 6.0 box on my network.  My other FreeBSD
> box and two Windows boxes get time from it just fine.  Even the Gentoo
> box will set its clock with "ntpd -gq".  I am currently using this
> brute force method via a cron job as a temporary workaround.
>
> Any ideas on what might have caused this recent change in behavior?

It might be that the clock got off by more than ntp is willing to
adjust.   As I recall there is a threshold above which ntp will not
go.   Hopefully someone more knowledgable might confirm that.

To cure that sort of problem here I run ntp-client at boot.  It sets
the time by any amount I think.  So time gets set right on boot then
ntp will keep it in good order.  Next boot up ntp-client comes in
ahead of ntp and sets the clock before ntp gets to it, so the
too-large discrepancy never occurs.

I seem to recall that the too-large discrepancy is not really that
large.  I remember thinking it seemed kind of small to be a problem.