On Tuesday 14 February 2006 07:26, Ernie Schroder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Re: trying KDE (again)':
> On Tuesday 14 February 2006 04:41, a tiny voice compelled Boyd Stephen
> Smith
>
> Jr. to write:
> > In konsole you'll want to modify the scheme in use to have a
> > transparent (or partially transparent) background (and maybe
> > background text color).
> >
> > The WM-wide transparency is handled with the X composite extension
> > (must modify xorg.conf) and kompmgr (which is automagically started
> > with your KDE session, if KDE detects the composite extension is
> > loaded).  The window-bahavior transparency and shadows use kompmgr.
>
> I tried all this a while back and it used too much cpu. It slowed my
> XP2400/1gigRAM system down to unacceptable levels. Has this been
> corrected in KDE 3.5.x?

I didn't even notice the additional CPU usage, but I'm on 2x 275 Opteron
system.  I have a friend who is on an 2200+ athlon and he said it started
out not so bad and then gradually creeped up until it was 80% of CPU; he
did have backing store enabled, IIRC.  He also isn't using dual 7800 GTXs
either, so that could have something to do with it.

Although it was pretty and pretty useful, I turned it off because there's
some wierd kopete bug that causes X to crash when opening chat windows.
It goes away when I turn composite off in the KDE control panel.  (So, the
composite extension is present, but kompmgr doesn't really do anything.)
I may go back in the future and try to just turn off transparency for
kopete windows...  I also didn't try it with AllGLXWithCompostie off, but
that's because I still want GLX available.

Composite is still considered experimental, and GLXWithComposite even more
so, so I wouldn't expect it to work for everyone.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]