I had a very similar problem, but I actually got something in my
/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log file:

Starting up as the master server.
/mnt/store//nfslockfile.lock: Permission denied
Unable to open lockfile!
Be sure that '/mnt/store/' exists and that both
the directory and that file are writeable by this user.

I checked the directory and it was owned by root (I assume because I
mounted a drive there,) so I first chowned the directory to
nobody:nobody thinking that the initscript ran as nobody. However,
that didn't work, but I noticed that mysql runs as the user 'mysql' so
I chowned the directory to mythtv:nobody and everything worked
smoothly.

You may have to add the user mythtv to the video group (to access your tv card.)

I certainly hope that helped someone.