On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Richard Fish wrote:

On 2/14/06, Jorge Almeida <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Richard Fish wrote:
data seg size           (kbytes, -d) 58593
virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) 58593

These are preventing any process spawned by this user from allocating
more than 58593 bytes of memory (which is why 32M works, and 64M
fails)

Try:
ulimit -d unlimited
ulimit -v unlimited

-Richard

Well, so that was it! I just finished compiling gcc.
I wonder why those limits were set for user root?!
My home computer didn't have such restriction, and I recently made a new
install on the computer that had all this problem, so I'm sure I didn't
do it myself and forgot it...

It's a relief to know it's not hw problem!

Thank you, and thanks also to Benno and Zac.

Jorge