Jarry wrote:

> But even if it is so, if you resize partition by lvm, this advantage
> could be lost. And if it even is possible to keep some partition
> continuous, than resizing partition in lvm would be very long process:
> if I resize 1st partition (the fastest, on the most outer cylinders)
> and want to keep it continuous, lvm would have to move all other
> partitions...

But LVM is so useful, that even THAT would be possible with *NO*
downtime AT ALL!

This is possible, if you've got multiple "physical volumes".
In text books, a pv is a complete harddrive (eg. /dev/sda).
But that's not necessary. Instead, you could also use
a partition (/dev/sda1) and there's also nothing stopping
one from having multiple PVs on one drive.

Now, if there are multiple PVs in one VG, it's easy to
do a "pvmove", which will move logical volumes to another
phyisical volume. And all that's /possible/ while the
filesystem is still in use!

Granted, I'd not do this at prime time... :)

But how do you do that with the legacy style of partitioning?
And also, how do you *control* exactly which data is at the
beginning (or wherever) of a drive, if you're going to have
only one grossly oversized partition on a drive?

Alexander Skwar
--
  As famous as the unknown soldier.