On 17 February 2006 10:15, Marco Calviani wrote:
> Hi Uwe,
>
> > Change the "kernel line" to:
> >
> > kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.14-gentoo-r5-fb root=/dev/ram0 init=linuxrc
> > ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 quiet
> > video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > splash=silent,fadein,theme:emergence quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
>
>  unfortunately with these options i'm getting a "nice" kernel panic.
> Why is it necessary to insert this command line?
>
> root=/dev/ram0 init=linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3

It makes sure the splash screen start as early as possible (don't forget the
"quiet" option). On my systems, it starts immediately after the kernel and
the initrd are loaded.

Kernel panic ... hm ...

How did you generate your initrd? Maybe, it doesn't contain "linuxrc" which
does all the magic before it hands over to the real init process.

Uwe

--
Why do consumers keep buying products they will live to curse?