On Saturday 18 February 2006 11:52, "Izar Ilun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel Panic':
> > >Just a guess.
> > >Do you have /dev/console device existing?
> >
> > No, I don't. At less now that I'm chrooting Gentoo via Ubuntu...
> >
> > >ls /mnt/gentoo/dev/[hms]* -ld
> >
> > ubuntu / # ls /dev/[hms]* -ld

Are you inside the chroot here? If not, this listing is meaningless.

Did you bind mount (or otherwise) mount something to /dev in the chroot
before going in?  If so, this listing is, again, meaningless.

(We need do know the device nodes on the filesystem on partition hda3, not
the device nodes created by devfs or udev or the device nodes on your
ubuntu root partition.)

Otherwise, you seem to have the right nodes for your drive -- can you tell
if the kernel successfully detects your drive?  Do you get any messages
about a new block device: hda?  If not, or if you just can't tell, you
might try building mroe of the IDE controller drivers into [*] or <*> the
kernel (not as modules <M>).

Also, if you append init=/bin/bash to your kernel command-line, can you get
a prompt?

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]