Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:51:21 +0100
Maarten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Back to the thread... I started wondering about something. I thought a
100% full root filesystem was deadly, but never thought about /tmp.
So I'd like to ask, what is more deadly for a system, a full root FS, a
full /tmp or a full /var ?  Why ?
And as a bonus question: which one is worse during boot, and which one
is worse on a fully booted and running system ?

/tmp shouldn't matter. full/read-only /var will disturb the gentoo rc
scripts. When running, programs/daemons may act funny when they can't
cope with the situation of full disks (e.g., PHP can't create session
files anymore). You can't expect logging to work, too.

Assuming it's a database server a full /tmp will cause some issues.

kashani