On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 16:35 -0800, Grant wrote:

> I was originally using wpa_supplicant with this Airport and it wasn't
> working.  John Jolet said:
>
> "well, you DON'T use wpa_supplicant."

I'm not aware of any issues regarding the use of wpa_supplicant with
regards to WEP.
It is supported.

> and I've been working with wireless-tools ever since.  I'm using:
>
> ifconfig ath0 up
> iwconfig ath0 essid Myessid
> iwconfig ath0 key s:Mykey
> pump -i ath0

> I tried dhcpcd and it didn't work either.  Knoppix was using pump
> sucessfully so I tried that with Gentoo as above.

> Honestly, how could this not be a package versions issue?  The above
> commands work on the Knoppix 4 DVD but not on up-to-date Gentoo.
>
> - Grant

For the sake of testing change your commands to what I use.
This works on all the access points that I connect to:

iwconfig ath0 essid [YOUR_ESSID]
iwconfig ath0 mode managed
iwconfig ath0 channel [no]
iwconfig ath0 enc [YOUR_HEXKEY]

Maybe just specifying the channel and mode......just a long shot.

Could you post the output of "iwconfig"?.

Come to think of it what does your "/etc/conf/net
and /etc/conf/wireless" have set.
There could be some conflicting configurations.
Check those two files out!!!

Rob