On 2/22/06, Lance Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there some tool that I should be using, or some additional emerge
> flag, that would help diagnose a problem like this?  I tried masking the
> packages that were being brought in, to see if that would tell me which
> package had the dependency that was bringing in the extra stuff,

How did you mask the package?  It should have been with
/etc/portage/package.mask...

"emerge -Dptv --emptytree <pkg>" will always show you the full
dependancy tree for a package.  And if you mask out a package, this
command should also tell you which package is bringing in the
dependancy.  For example, if I comment out the line in my unmask that
allows me to bring in x11-libs/libXpm, and try to emerge wordpress, I
get:

carcharias rjf # USE=xpm emerge -Deptv wordpress

These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies |
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "x11-libs/libXpm" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- x11-libs/libXpm-3.5.4.2 (masked by: package.mask)
# Donnie Berkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (07 Aug 2005)
# Modularized X, upstream release candidates

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
(dependency required by "dev-lang/php-5.1.1" [ebuild])

I get a similar error if I mask out dev-db/mysql in /etc/portage/package.mask

-Richard