On Thursday 23 February 2006 17:25, Bo Andresen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] chroot: cannot run command `bin/bash': Exec
format error':
> On Thursday 23 February 2006 23:33, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 February 2006 15:56, Bo Andresen
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > I think these are relevant:
> > $ zgrep -i ia32 /proc/config.gz
> > CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION=y
> > CONFIG_IA32_AOUT=y
>
> I cannot find those options.

[See below]

> ~ # uname -m
> i686

So, that's definitely not a 64-bit kernel.

> > So, you may want to configure, make, and install your kernel like:
> > make ARCH=x86_64 menuconfig
> > make ARCH=x86_64
> > make ARCH=x86_64 install
> >
> > (You don't need a CROSS_COMPILE prefix since gcc should work fine.)
>
> Should I ignore all these warnings?

I think yes.  The first 2 dozen or so are definitely x86 specific and not
applicable to x86_64.  I'm going to bet the others are too.  Notice this
line:

> # using defaults found in .config

So, it's starting from your i686 config, and trying to use it to assign as
many symbols as possible to the new x86_64 kernel.  Some of the symbols
just won't exist.

When you 'make ARCH=x86_64 menuconfig', can you find the IA32 configuration
options?

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]