Rafael Bugajewski <rb <at> bugajewski.de> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I search for a open source solution for video streams. What I want to do is
> have a server with a simple GUI on which I can control several video streams
> that get distributed. The streams have to be distributed to thin clients or
> video projectors.

I'd settle for gentoo workstations here....

> In the case I would use video projectors I have the
> question: Are there some video projectors with a network interface? If yes,
> which protocol do they speak, is there a standard?

any of the standards, mpeg2, mpeg4 mpeg4(AVC)

H.264 is my favorite.

> The clients (or projectors) should work this way that I turn them on and it
> just works, no configuration, no clicking, _nothing_. I know, that I can
> realize it with scripts, but I completely dunno what software to use. The
> whole controlling process should be done from the server.

Well that's the aim of many projects, but achieving this sort of level
only comes after a package, matures over time, in my experience.

> The server itself should have a simple user interface (for users which dunno
> much about computers). They can configure which stream to show on which
> client and also disable the streams.
>
> Does anybody has an idea how such a configuration can be realized and with
> which software?

This is really sort of a complex/dynamic request. ffmpeg is the basic
tools behind many video packages. Here are the names of a few you might
want to try:

vlc: retransmits video streams
zoneminder: security stream camera viewer
mythtv: digital video recorder
qdvdauthor
mplayer
vdr: set top box for DVB

many other packages exist, just take a look in the
/usr/portage/medida-video/  dir, and emerge one for a test

hth,
James