On 2/26/06, gentuxx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Why in the world to I need Apache, php(4), and a whole host of other
> packages (22 to be exact) just to install NTP?

Probably because your USE flags are telling portage that you want all
of those dependancies.

If you don't have USE=nodroproot (which would be a bad idea, BTW), ntp
depends on sys-libs/libcap.

sys-libs/libcap depends on dev-lang/swig if you have USE=python.

dev-lang/swig depends dev-lang/php if you have USE=php.

dev-lang/php depends on apache.

...and so on.

If you want to avoid such dependancies, you should set USE=-* in
/etc/make.conf, and then set each USE flag specifically for each
package that you want it on in /etc/portage/package.use.  If you do
this, be very careful in the conversion of your system, as you can
break things easily (for example, if you have pam, and end up with
-pam.)

-Richard