Ryan Tandy wrote:

Mike Myers wrote:

Duncan wrote

[deleted]

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.

Do you know if there's a way or going to be a way to handle the split ebuilds so that reemerging or unemerging a split ebuild will reemerge or unemerge the corresponding packages? It seems like the ebuilds are only intended to make installing kde easier, which they do, but it doesn't make handle uninstalling or reinstalling a split ebuild very easy at all. Like, if I had kde 3.4 installed and upgraded to 3.5 and no longer need 3.4, I can't just do 'emerge -C kde-meta-3.4', or something similar if it's the installed with the split metapackage. Or if I just wanted to remove some split ebuild, like say kdenetwork, but leave the rest, I couldn't do 'emerge -c kdenetwork-meta' to uninstall the related packages.

Basically, my concern is that how KDE is installed is quite easily handled, but uninstalling or reinstalling is not equally as easy, at least in some aspects.

I hope I explain myself well enough, and thanks for your response.

Mike

Moving this to -user as requested by Richard.

The meta-packages install their split ebuilds by way of depending on them. Therefore, to remove a complete set of split ebuilds, you can 'emerge -C kde-meta' (for example), and then run 'emerge depclean' to clear out the split ebuilds which are no longer depended on by anything. Remember to 'emerge -p depclean' first and conduct a sanity check.

Also you could run 'equery depgraph kde-meta', and then use some grep and cut magic to grab the atoms, useful if depclean doesn't co-operate.

HTH.

Thanks for moving

It seems like using the split ebuilds are only a mechanism for installing packages, but they they don't include a mechanism for doing anything else with the packages. Like, doing an emerge -C kde-meta doesn't actually uninstall anything, or doing an emerge kde-meta if kde-meta has already been installed doesn't reinstall anything at all. Clearly, reinstalling or uninstalling those packages can be done one way or another, I don't understand why reemerging or uninstalling (while not all that complicated) is somewhat more involved than other packages. Is anything planned to address this? Or are split ebuilds going to be left that way?