On 2/27/06, Marco Calviani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> > Those escape characters are recognized only by the getty program,
> > which is used for console logins.  You should still be able to use the
> > color setting escape sequences, since those are terminal escapes.  But
> > the substitution stuff is getty specific, and will not work with ssh.
>
> thanks for sharing this info. It comes completely new for me. So, as
> far as i understand, there is no way of having this info with ssh
> login? Am i right?

The current time will be difficult.  But you could create a file (like
/etc/issue.ssh) with the rest of the information in it:

echo "This is `hostname`.`hostname -d` ( `uname -s` `uname -m` `uname
-r` )" > /etc/issue.ssh

You could put the above in local.start to update the hostname or
kernel version information at each boot.

-Richard